Expert Network Engineer
About the Role and Responsibilities
Location: Santa Clara, CA This position will be a member of the Network Operations team and will work with various functional areas on gathering requirements, evaluating, designing, implementing, and supporting network (LAN, MAN, WAN, wireless, VPN, content networking) technologies that will enable the organization to work effectively and productively. Responsible for engineering and deployment of the large scale LAN/WAN in an Internet environment. Overall responsibility & ownership of architecture for a major product area or complex piece of Internet technology. This requires extensive and broad functional experience/expertise with switching, routing, firewall, VPN, wireless, content networking, load balancing, and network management systems across a wide range of complex architectures, platforms and mediums in an internet environment. Works with the product/project management teams to ensure that the network supports offered products and services. Provides various levels of escalation support to the NOC, SOC and other on-call network engineers.
About the Role:
- Research, design, plan, and implement new network technologies into current operating environment. Test and evaluate future looking technologies by participating in beta tests of given technologies.
- Look for ways to provide enhancements to existing network services. Make recommendations, define the ROI, and implement these improvements using an accepted change control methodology process.
- Define and follow standards and best practices for network design, testing, and implementation methodology. Document the environment.
- Configure, deploy, fine-tune, monitor, maintain, upgrade, troubleshoot, support and repair the McAfee global network as required. Provide training to regional site staff for same.
Qualifications Required Experience/Skills & Education:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or other related field or equivalent knowledge with 6-10 years of related professional experience.
- 5+ years of direct engineering and design experience in the telecommunications and/or networking industry and/or B2B Internet Space. Cisco CCNP/CCDP or CCIE certifications preferred.
- Expertise in creating repeatable, reliable, scalable network architectures, with fault tolerance, performance tuning, monitoring systems, statistics/metrics collection, and disaster recovery. Expert working knowledge (including the ability to setup, configure, upgrade, manage, and troubleshoot) Cisco routers, switches, VPN concentrators, firewalls, 802.11 wireless access points, and F5 load balancers.
- Understanding of transport protocols, routing protocols, and security/authentication protocols at all layers of the OSI model with emphasis on TCP/IP are essential.
- Subject Matter Expert in IP routing protocols including BGP, EIGRP, OSPF, IP Multicast, MPLS Proficiency working with VLAN, VRF, HSRP, Port Security, Traffic Shaping, Priority Queuing, Class of Service (CoS)
- Advanced knowledge of IPv4, IPv6, IOS, IOS-XR, VPC
- In depth experience with multiple vendor¹s hardware, including Cisco and F5are a must
- In depth experience with F5 LTM v4.5, v9.x, v10.x, F5 GTM v10.x. Writing, testing, and optimizing irules, F5 Enterprise manager v2.x BIND CentOS/RHEL preferred.
- Experience with F5 LTM v11.x, F5 GTM v11.x, Viprion class LTM, Perl, Tcl, iControl a Bonus
- Must have knowledge of networking features and protocols such as spanning tree, ARP, CDP, EIGRP, RIP, OSPF, BGP, VTP, Etherchannel, 802.1Q trunking, MLS, HSRP, QoS, multicast, 802.11, IPsec, Frame Relay, RADIUS/TACACS+, SNMP, T-1/E-1, BRI/PRI, MPLS, dial-up services, and caching services.
- Experience with network management tools such as Sniffers, Ethereal, MRTG, HP Openview, Whats Up Gold, Netreo Omniscient. Sniffer certification or CNX a plus.
- Experience supporting Windows and UNIX products systems/applications on networking technologies. Certifications and/or experience equivalent to MCSE, Solaris, and Linux are a bonus. * Ability to learn new things quickly, and need minimal direction.
- A high degree of creative ability, analytical and technical skills and independent judgment/decision making.
- Good strategic planning, project management, organizational and time management skills to handle multiple complex enterprise-scale complex projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communications and presentation skills and candidate must have the ability to communicate with internal/external customers, vendors, management etc. in both formal and informal situations.
- Strong interpersonal skills needed to team well with peers, customers, project managers, and vendors.
McAfee, part of Intel Security and a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel Corp. (NASDAQ:INTC), empowers businesses, the public sector, and home users to safely experience the benefits of the Internet. The company delivers proactive and proven security solutions and services for systems, networks, and mobile devices around the world. With its visionary Security Connected strategy, innovative approach to hardware-enhanced security, and unique Global Threat Intelligence network, McAfee is relentlessly focused on keeping its customers safe.
McAfee celebrates diversity!
Click here for full EEO statement.
TB - LI
Job IT Operations
Primary Location NA-USA-CA-Santa Clara
Position Number 876854